With the weather finally warming up out here in New York, I have been craving fresh herbs! These biscuits are versatile, you can add other herbs or even cheese and they will still be flaky and buttery. These savory biscuits go great as an appetizer at dinner and are great heated up the next morning and served with eggs.
Check out my YouTube video for this recipe here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8sHYCKEIg7Q
Biscuits are made using the biscuit method. The biscuit method is when cold butter is cut into the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder & salt). Make sure to use cold butter, it makes the flaky layers by creating steam when the butter melts in the biscuit and leaving an air pocket for the baking powder to react and release gas to make the biscuits rise! You can cut the butter into the flour a multitude of ways. You can use your hands, a food processor or a cheese grater! Yes a cheese grater, it’s my favorite method! When the butter is grated it results in long thin pieces of butter. This makes for an almost pull apart layered biscuit!
Scallion, Thyme & Pepper Biscuits
- 2 cups (260 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup (113 g) cold, unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup scallions
- 3/4 cup (185 g) cold water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, black pepper and salt. Whisk together.
- Grate the butter into the flour and mix until butter is coated with the dry ingredients.
- Finely chop the thyme and scallions. Add to the bowl and mix until thyme and scallions are evenly dispersed.
- Add the cold water and mix with a spatula until the dough becomes shaggy and there is still flour not mixed in.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured table, press dough down and fold the dough in half and press down. Repeat this process until dough is the same consistency throughout.
- Press or roll the dough out until it’s 1 inch thick (or to your desired thickness).
- Cut dough with cookie cutter or a glass and place onto sheet tray.
- Make an egg wash by mixing together 1 egg with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush egg wash on top of biscuits. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until top of biscuits is golden brown!
2 thoughts on “Scallion, Thyme, Pepper Biscuits”
These look really scrumptious!
LikeLiked by 1 person
LikeLiked by 1 person