Happy New Year everyone! I know I’ve been MIA lately; working on private orders, getting a kitten & travelling has made me busy! But I’m here now, and with a Boozy Banana Crème Brûlée! I used some Captain Morgan spiced rum (actually I stole some from my boyfriend..oops) but whiskey or bourbon would also taste delicious! The banana flavor is very mellow but adds another layer to this classic dessert.
Crème Brûlées origin is unknown; Spain, France & England all claim they created it and have very similar desserts. Either way, it was created in the late 1600’s. Unlike current day where sugar is melted on top, a separate caramel disk was made and placed on top.
Crème Brûlée is a custard, so baking it in a water bath is highly recommended. This way the heat is gently and evely distributed. Also be careful not to overbake, take it out of the oven when it is still jiggly and the center is barely set.
Boozy Banana Crème Brûlée
- 1 cup heavy cream (241 grams)
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar (47 grams)
- 1 oz liquor (rum, whiskey, or bourbon)
- 2 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a saucepan combine cream, salt & bananas. Bring to simmer.
- In separate bowl combine sugar and egg yolks.
- Once cream mixture is simmering, strain out banana. Add in vanilla and liquor.
- Whisk cream into eggs and sugar.
- Divey up the batter between ramekins (I got 4 shallow oval ramekins filled).
- Place ramskins in a tall sided pan and fill ramekins halfway with boiling water.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until center is just set and still jiggly. Place in fridge until cooled.
- Once cooled it’s time for the sugar topping! Sprinkle a VERY light layer on top of the custard. Using a blowtorch brown the top of the Crème Brûlée. OR turn the broiler on and place custards under the broiler until brown (be careful it happens very quickly). The caramel flavor from the sugar with the sweetness from the banana makes regular Crème Brûlée even better!
One thought on “Boozy Banana Crème Brûlée”
Adding this to the must make list! Thanks!
LikeLiked by 1 person